There is no gainsaying that partners must attain good health to achieve pregnancy. However, good health is a necessary condition but not sufficient enough to guarantee pregnancy. In fact, couples at their fertility prime even without fertility challenges stand only a 24% likelihood of conceiving at the cycle. This implies that irrespective how excellent your health status, a high probability of difficulty to conceive is imminent. Attaining pregnancy is back-breaking to some people and effortless to others. Pregnancy may take up to a year for most couples and may persist even further in others. Therefore, it is essential, to understand that your influence over the length of time to conception is limited. However, be it as it may, there are a few actions you can undertake to improve your odds of conception.
1. Get Your Body Ready for Pregnancy
A. Check-in for a Prenatal investigation
Notwithstanding your fertility status, it is pertinent you opt-in for a prenatal examination since subsisting health-related issues becomes more severe at conception. Ideally, doctors perform inspections on the pelvis and make other health-related inferences including but not be limited to endometriosis, diabetes, Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and Thyroid disease. PCOS and endometriosis tend to hinder conception; thus the need for parental examination.
B. Maintain a healthy weight
Medically, underweighting or overweighting are not a healthy body condition. They are a pre-cursor to conception difficulty and may predispose the potential mother to pregnancy-related issues including stoppage of menstruation. Prior- to pregnancy, let your doctor work you through what an ideal weight range should be for you.
C. Consume prenatal vitamins
The embryo under formation requires nutrient. Therefore, Ingesting vitamins prior to conception reduces the risk of specific pregnancy-related issues. For instance, folic acid rich supplements lower the odds of spina bifida and other inadequacies including the neural tube. Allow your doctor advice and guide you on which supplements suits your body
D. Adhere to Your Diet Schedule
An appropriate diet schedule can incredibly improve your fertility status as well as your chances to fecundate. An ideal diet schedule is composed of fruits, vegetables, grains, and lean protein. Support your partner to avoid caffeine, sugar, fat and alcohol glut but rather consume vitamin-rich (E and C) diet such as vegetables to boosts sperm. More so, selenium improves men’s fertility. So, about 55mcg of selenium per day is particularly ideal for the men.
E. Snap out of certain habit
Certain habits are not just good enough for partners actively seeking conception. These include smoking – (first and second hand), alcohol drinking, and caffeine intake. They predispose partners to a lower odds of conceiving. Caffeine intake comprising those from coffee tea, drinks, food, and chocolates should be restricted to about 200mg/day -2 cups or less of caffeinated beverages. Alcohol consumption and smoking reduce fertility in women, while sperm count and quality are negatively affected in men.
F. Visit a sex therapist or reproductive physician
Most times, either of the partners may not be interested in sex. Seek the advice of a licensed professional to assist surmount this challenge. The stress and pressure to take in coupled with emotionally tensioned fertility diagnostic may result in dysfunction and make conception elusive.
2. Pinpoint the Most the Fertile Day
A. Note your cycle with a calendar or app
Understanding your period cycle is the most effective method of distinguishing your most fertile days. Use a fertility app or a calendar to gather your fertility details. Typically, the OvaGraph or the Fertility Friend is a classic example of a fertility app type you can use. The app will assist gather such information as body temperature, cervical mucus variations, a supportive ovulation test prediction, days you engaged in sex, the first day of menstruation. Schedule the cycle commencement date as 1 and successively note the rest of the cycle days to the last.
B. Note basal temperature
More specific than not, variations in temperature will occur during ovulation. A slight rise in temperature indicates fertility. A thermometer should be handy and kept at your bedside to routinely take and observe readings as you wake. You may be ovulating if readings fall within the range of 0.5 and 1 degrees Fahrenheit and lasting more than a day. The zenith of your fertility period is often 2 to 3 days before basal temperature increase. An observable month on month temperature surging pattern can assist determine the ideal conception time. Acquire a personal basal body thermometer. This is because tenuous temperature variations can be easily distinguished.
C. Monitor your cervical mucus
A consistent varginal discharge, pellucid and elastic in nature just like a raw egg is an indication that you are fertile. From the day you observed your discharge to be as explained, engage in sex; 3 to 4the days. As soon as the discharge turns murky, your odds of conception is low. Pass a clean finger through your vagina or mob as you visit the bathroom to examine your cervical mucus.
D. An Ovulation predictor kit may assist
Urinate on to the edge of the strip or insert it into your urine, and remain for a few minutes then read the result. The emergence of a double line with a similar color or a line darker than the reference line indicates a positive outcome. If you did a digital examination, observe the screen to read the result status.
3. Concertize your effort to conceive
A. Prior to, on, and post-fertile days sex
Upon your awareness of your fertility status, routinely engage in sex. Conception is most certain few days to your fertile window, during and after this period. In case you wish to use lubes, use the type specifically meant for conception.
B. Keep pace with the basal body temperature
Consistently note your temperature to allow you to gather rich data sets regarding your cycle and understand your fertility prune days for next cycle. In addition to a missed period, a surging temperature past your anticipated period is an indication of pregnancy. The probability of conception is high if you notice a lingering or persistent high temperature lasting up to 14 days,
C. Look out for implantation symptoms
In most women, implantation bleeding, headaches, tenderness of breasts, mood swings, subtle cramps, nausea and back pains follows barely 6 to 12 days post conception. It is typical but report to your physician if there are concerns.
D. Home testing
Have a home pregnancy examination should you have your period missed. Relax till your next anticipated period. Have a pregnancy examination if it fails to come. Though the odds of achieving an accurate result is high – about 97%, the home test sometimes could be inaccurate. So, for a more precise result, repeat the test a week apart from your initial analysis. It may interest you to know that conception isn’t instantaneous. Many couples – about 80 out of every 100 trials per month fail in the quest for conception. Mostly, for this set of people, conception may begin after two years.
4. Ask for help for fertility issues
For couples actively seeking conception, you can relieve yourself of concern by scheduling a period to visit a physician for guidance. Age, duration of trials, health status, are some indices which should prompt such a visit.
• For Partners who are below 30 years of age and routinely engaging in sex, conception should occur within 12 months. Couples above 30 years still seeking conception 6months later should visit a doctor. Since fertility declines with aging, conception for women above 30 years may be daunting. Women who are above 35 or is with endometriosis, STDs, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, miscarriage history, inflammatory diseases of the pelvic and other historical diseases should also see a doctor.
• Present yourself for examination – Furnish your physician with complete medication, drinks, foods, herbs and supplements you took in historical times to ascertain the best possible action for you.
o Semen analysis and sperm test should be done for the male to verify sperm quality and number. Additionally, a blood test is ideal to check the hormonal balance and an ultrasound to examine sperm duct blockages
o Typically, fertility test is ideal for the women. This test may include -Pituitary thyroid, and other hormone levels during ovulation. Ovarian reserve testing, as well as genetic examination, can be effected to identify inherited infertility issues.
• See a reproductive endocrinologist. The endocrinologist will diagnose, test, and expose you to the full range of treatment within his reach. Make your appointment today. Ready your list of question. Before your visit, rehearse the questions over with your partner to be sure you haven’t missed out on anything including side effects and cost. Lay bay your expectations for a possible treatment on day one.
• Inquire about Intrauterine insemination (IUI). Usually performed a day post ovulation in women, it entails inserting a healthy sperm from a donor or partner into your uterus. Semen allergy, endometriosis, male fertility factors are some issues which may give rise to IUI. In vitro fertilization may also be considered as an alternative.
• Inquire about drugs for your situation. In most cases, fertility medications may be enough to improve conception odds while Gamete Intra- Fallopian or surrogacy are still an option for others. Typically, fertility drugs like Clomid could be used to stimulate the release of eggs by the ovaries.
• Ask for and accept support from your partner and therapist. Infertility could instigate depression, isolation, and anxiousness. It takes the support of both partners to endure and withstand stress which precedes it.